We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Customer Comments and Complaints

Customer feedback is really important. All services need to understand where things are working well and where changes and improvements are needed:


It is really helpful to learn when a service has been provided well or  when a member of staff has done a great job.


A suggestion to improve it; A question as to whether something could be done differently; An idea for delivering a service differently.


A complaint is a written or verbal expression of dissatisfaction about  a service provided. Family members and advocates may make a  complaint on behalf of a customer/patient but you will be asked for  consent to ensure the complaint is not being made against the  individual's wishes.


Within Shropshire, there is a strong commitment to high standards in the management of complaints. It is recognised with the number of different services available, there is the potential for confusion in knowing where to direct a complaint. As a result Shropshire Council and local health organisations work together under a Joint Complaints Protocol to ensure customers and patients find the support they need.

Every organisation will have a complaints procedure. Reading the procedure or any accompanying leaflets and guides can be an important way of understanding what to expect. If you have any concerns or a complaint please get in touch with the service direct. Contact details are below.

Private and Voluntary Sector Care Providers
Some services are delivered on behalf of Shropshire Council by a third party provider such as domiciliary care, residential care within registered care homes etc. These bodies will have their own complaints procedure and if you have concerns about the care provided you should try and give these care providers the opportunity to resolve those concerns. However, if your concerns become a more formal complaint, and the care you are provided with has been purchased by Shropshire Council, you can complain directly to Shropshire Council.

Self-Funded Care and Care purchased with direct payments
If you wish to make a complaint and you arrange your own care privately you should complain to the service directly or to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. If you have a complaint about the service you have purchased through a direct payment, you will need to speak directly with the service provider or employee. You can also complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. https://www.lgo.org.uk/

Support and Advocacy

Within NHS services you can seek advice from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers. Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and Princess Royal Hospital and The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital all have a PALS office. 

Healthwatch Shropshire is also a member of the Joints Complaint Group and provides the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service for people and local communities in Shropshire.

Back to top