Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin
Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin is a local charity, passionate that everyone should have the opportunity to be able to make the most of later life, whatever their circumstances, wants and needs.
We work with and for older people to improve the quality of later life. Our staff and volunteers undertake a wide range of services across the county.
- Information and Advice - free service helping older people with all manner of queries and problems.
- Advocacy and Supported Guidance - free, independent, trustworthy support for older people, legal advice by appointment.
- Befriending visitors - our volunteers visit older people in their homes on a regular basis.
- Benefits advice - our trained officers can answer queries, provide free benefit checks and assist in the completion of claim forms.
- Campaigning work - we campaign with and on behalf of older people, to make life better for all.
- Community Navigation and Support - based in GP surgeries or other NHS teams, we provide supported signposting to help socially isolated older people remain independent in their communities.
- Diamond Drop In Centres - aimed at people with dementia and their carers, spread across the county.
- Home from Hospital - this service provides short-term support for older people coming out of hospital.
- Help at Home - our team of support workers provide practical support in home for older people, such as cleaning, gardening or shopping.
- Legal surgeries - we provide a free 15 minute advice session with a local solicitor on a monthly basis at our offices in Shrewsbury and Telford.
- Annual holiday - once a year we provide an enjoyable week in Llandudno for 120 older people normally unable to take a holiday due to illness, disability or isolation.
- Lunch Clubs- these are spread across the county giving older people a chance to get out and enjoy a traditional meal in the company of like minded people.
- Neighbourhood Contact Officers - this services operates in Telford, provdiing community contacts to raise awareness of the help and support available to older people or their carers who may be isolated or lonely.
- OPEL Day Centres - over 40 Older People Enjoying Life centres offer a friendly day out, a hot meal and activities once a week.
- Tax Surgeries - we provide independent, free tax advice from professionals, at our offices in Shrewsbury and Telford.
- Telephone Buddies - our volunteers offer a weekly call and chat with a lonely older person.
- Wellbeing Support - we offer a range of activities and projects to provide physical and mental stimulation for older people. There are different activities throughout Shropshire and Telford from exercise classes, IT classes, reading groups, knitting groups and walking football.
- Trading products - we sell products and insurance policies that are specially designed for older people. The profits from our sales support our work locally and nationally. They range from home and travel insurance to stairlifts and adjustable beds, hearing aids and personal alarms.
How you can help us:
Make a donation - your donation will make a real difference to an older person's life.
A gift in your will - if you would like to find out more about leaving a gift in your will, please don't hesitate to call us.
Volunteer for us - we are always looking for volunteers. You can choose from a wide range of opportunities and hours are very flexible. Volunteering is fun, fulfilling and really does a difference.
3 Mardol Gardens
Open Monday - Friday, 10.00am - 4.00pm
Telephone: 01743 233 123
Meeting Point House
Telford Town Centre
Open Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 1.30pm
Telephone: 01952 201 803
Information line: 01952 216 018
Please note: information & signposting will always be available at times advertised, however the provision of advice and advocacy is dependant upon availability of advisors and advocates at the time.
The page was last updated on 7 November 2017